Skin Vasculature & Blood Flow
VivoSight Dx produces and characterizes vascular network images
Understanding cutaneous vascular presentations is a prerequisite for effective research programs including:
- Clinical research involving systemic and topical medications
- Optimization of treatment parameters for lasers, energy devices etc.
Besides imaging vascular networks, VivoSight Dx and VivoTools measure the following vascular properties:
- Vessel density by depth
- Depth of the superficial vascular plexus
- Modal vessel diameter of the superficial plexus
- Density of vessels at the plexus level
VivoSight Dx Measurements Can Enhance Research of Inflammatory and Vascular Conditions:
In addition to marked morphologic differences (thickened and bright stratum corneum, acanthosis), the number of blood vessels and vascular density is increased in psoriasis. Images courtesy of Welzel .
Rosacea Therapy (Brimonidine)
Dynamic OCT en-face view of normal skin located on the cheek before (left) and 60 minutes after topical brimonidine (right).
Port Wine Stain Birthmarks and Rosacea
VivoSight Dx uncovers a wide variability of quantified vascular morphology requiring different, individual treatment approaches with lasers and energy device
VivoSight Scans Show Highly Variable Architecture for a Variety of Vascular Lesions
1. Waibel JS, Holmes J, Rudnick A, Woods D, Kelly KM. Angiographic optical coherence tomography imaging of hemangiomas and port wine birthmarks. Lasers Surg Med. 2018 Mar 22
2. Christman MP, Feng H, Holmes J, Geronemus RG. Treating port wine stain birthmarks using dynamic optical coherence tomography-guided settings. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2019 Aug 19.
3. Ulrich M, Themstrup L, de Carvalho N, Manfredi M, Grana C, Ciardo S, Kästle R, Holmes J, Whitehead R, Jemec G, B, E, Pellacani G, Welzel J: Dynamic Optical Coherence Tomography in Dermatology. Dermatology 2016;232:298-311. doi: 10.1159/000444706
4. Schuh S, Holmes J, Ulrich M, Themstrup L, Jemec GBE, Pellacani G, Welzel J. Imaging blood vessel morphology in skin: dynamic optical coherence tomography as a novel potential diagnostic tool in dermatology. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). 2017;7(2):187–202
5. Themstrup L, Ciardo S, Manfredi M, Ulrich M, Pellacani G, Welzel J, Jemec GBE. In vivo, micro-morphological vascular changes induced by topical brimonidine studied by Dynamic optical coherence tomography. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2016 Jun;30(6):974-9
6. Themstrup, L., et al., Validation of Dynamic optical coherence tomography for non-invasive, in vivo microcirculation imaging of the skin, Microvasc. Res. (2016), Shttp://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mvr.2016.05.004
7. Byers RA, Fisher M, Bown NJ, Tozer GM, Matcher SJ. Vascular patterning of subcutaneous mouse fibro sarcomas expressing individual VEGF isoforms can be differentiated using angiographic optical coherence tomography. Biomedical Optics Express (BOE) Vol. 8, No. 10 | 1 Oct 2017.